Elizabeth Fitzalan, Duchess of Norfolk
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Through her eldest daughter, Lady Margaret Mowbray, Elizabeth was an ancestress of Queens consort Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard, and the Howard Dukes of Norfolk. Her other notable descendants include Charles Brandon, 1st Duke of Suffolk; Thomas Stanley, 1st Earl of Derby; Sir Thomas Wyatt, the younger; and Lady Jane Grey (by both parents).
Marriages and children
Lady Elizabeth was born in Derbyshire, England, a daughter of Richard Fitzalan, 11th Earl of Arundel and his first wife Elizabeth de Bohun, daughter of William de Bohun, 1st Earl of Northampton and Elizabeth de Badlesmere.
Elizabeth had five husbands and at least six children:
- Sir William Montacute, the eldest son of William de Montagu, 2nd Earl of Salisbury (before December 1378).
- Thomas de Mowbray, 1st Duke of Norfolk (1384)
- Thomas de Mowbray, 4th Earl of Norfolk (b. 17 September 1385)
- Margaret de Mowbray (b. 1388), married Sir Robert Howard (1385 - 1436), and from this marriage descended Queens consort Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard, and the Howard Dukes of Norfolk.
- John de Mowbray, 2nd Duke of Norfolk (b. 1392)
- Isabel de Mowbray (b.1400), married James Berkeley, 1st Baron Berkeley
- Sir Robert Goushill or Gousell of Hoveringham, Nottinghamshire (before 18 August 1401)
- Elizabeth Goushill or Gousell (1404-1491), wife of Sir Robert Wingfield of Letheringham, Suffolk (1403-between 6 October 1452 and 21 November 1454), they were great-grandparents to Charles Brandon, 1st Duke of Suffolk.
- Joan or Jean Goushill or Gousell (b. 1409), wife of Thomas Stanley, 1st Baron Stanley, King of Mann, and parents of Thomas Stanley, 1st Earl of Derby. Through their daughter Katherine, they are ancestors of US President James Madison.
- Sir Gerard Usflete, son of Sir Gerard Usflete (d.1406), MP.
- Edward Le Despencer, son of Edward Le Despencer (d. 1342) and his wife Anne de Groby de Ferrers
|Ancestors of Lady Elizabeth FitzAlan|
- Assignment of Dower #306, dated 1400.
- Memorials of the Order of the Garter, from Its Foundation to the Present ... By George Frederick p. 298 accessed 1 November 2007
- Rawcliffe, C., biography of USFLETE, Sir Gerard, of North Ferriby and Ousefleet, Yorks, published in The History of Parliament: the House of Commons 1386-1421, ed. J.S. Roskell, L. Clark, C. Rawcliffe., 1993